©FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com 2008-2014

Please note, the content and photos are original (unless noted) and property of www.FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com

Content and photos are protected, please contact me to obtain permission to use, thank you.


Thanks for visiting! I haven't been spending much time here because I've been focusing on my new blog, BurlapnDots.com ...please visit to find tutorials from this blog, and NEW DIY projects, and fun vintage finds for sale!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

DIY Lotion Bar Recipe (Or the post alternatively titled {How to Turn A Failed Pinterest Attempt Into A Semi-Success}

DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
For the past few weeks now, I’ve been eyeing a few different DIY lotion recipes on Pinterest…like this one from LittleHouseLiving.com for Homemade Coconut Oil Lotion. Super easy…just whip coconut oil with a blender and add in Vitamin E. Easy Peasy. Only a couple of ingredients. I can do that. 
Then I saw this recipe for a lotion bar from Natural Mother’s Network  Again, easy enough although a few more ingredients and steps involved…but hey, no problem, I can do it!
Cut to the day I set out to make my very own lotion. I was feeling pretty good about BOTH recipes, and I thought “hey, why can’t I combine everything and make a really super awesome lotion?”
I started by melting the beeswax, cocoa butter, and shea butter all together in my little melting pot. While that was melting I started whipping my coconut oil and Vitamin E in the blender.
This is the part that everything just went so very wrong. (As in, this is the part that you do as I say, not as I did).
I decided to get all mad scientist on it and added the melted beeswax/cocoa butter/shea butter mixture to the coconut oil in the blender. And an interesting thing happened. Instead of it whipping together and becoming all nice and fluffy like whipped cream, it started clumping together and looked anything but light and fluffy, or even like smooth lotion for that matter. It looked gross and clumpy and it was just a plain ugly lumpy mess.
So in a desperate attempt to save the money spent on the ingredients, I decided to put the whole thing back in the melting pot and hopefully melt it all together. I added more beeswax, finally conceding that my wish for a nice fluffy whipped lotion was not meant to be, but maybe I could turn it into more of a solid lotion and make a lotion bar?
I poured it into some silicone cupcake molds, stuck them in the fridge, and then went swimming. When I cam back a few hours later, I found that my failed-whipped-lotion-turned-lotion-bars had actually worked out! So even though it wasn’t what I had originally planned on, I was quite happy with the final product.
A little warning, they are a little on the “greasy” side, and it takes a few minutes to soak into your skin. But it’s an awesome lotion for dry skin…especially as an “after sun” lotion. I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks now, and I love how it really helps moisturize and hydrate my dried out (from the sun and swimming) skin. A little bit of the lotion goes a looooooong way…and so far I’ve only used 1 of the little “bars”, so this recipe will definitely stretch your dollar and you’ll be able to get a lot of use out of it. It didn’t turn out how I wanted it to, but I think I like this even more.


DIY Lotion Bar Recipe
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
You will need:
- 1 Cup Shredded Beeswax (I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby…I HIGHLY recommend buying the pellets because the bars are really a pain in the booty to shred).
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Oil (I got mine at the health food store, and I wish I had purchased THIS one because it apparently has a lovely natural coconut scent).
- 1 tsp. Almond Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Vitamin E Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Shea Butter

- 1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
(The only essential oil I had on hand, but you could use anything. Add as much or as little depending on your preference…but use peppermint sparingly…it can irritate your skin if you use too much).
- 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract (I didn’t have any vanilla scent, so I used what I had!) ***EDIT: 5/5/13 - Using Vanilla Extract is fine, but after some research, it's much better to use essential oils...the extract might separate from the mixture. You'll also get more of a vanilla scent with essential oils.***
-
Melting Pot (I used my melting pot that I use to melt candy wafers for cake pops) but you can also use a pot of boiling water with a smaller pot or glass bowl sitting in it, or for that matter you can also use the lovely invention of the microwave…melt at 30 second intervals). - Candy or Candle Molds, or Silicone Cupcake Molds or Ice Cube Trays
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
1) Melt the Beeswax and Cocoa Butter in a melting pot
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
2) Blend together the Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Peppermint Essential Oil, and Vanilla Extract.
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
3) Add the Beeswax mixture to the Coconut Oil mixture and blend together. It will be lumpy!
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
4) Pour everything back in to the melting pot and melt it all together…use a bamboo skewer to stir everything together.
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
5) Put the melted mixture in to your molds, put in the fridge for a few hours to help the liquid solidify.
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
So that’s all…it really was pretty easy and simple…and while it didn’t turn out the way I was hoping it would, it maybe turned out better!
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
Just a reminder, it will be greasy. It takes a few minutes for it to soak in to your skin…I have been using it after showering at night to really let it soak in overnight. I’ve also been using it on my feet and putting on socks at night, and it’s really been helping with dry heels from swimming and summer shoes. I made the mistake of using the lotion after my morning shower one morning, and it was of course 107* out that day…I don’t advise using this lotion when you’ll be sweating outside…it feels yucky and gross…it’s MUCH better to use it as a before-bed lotion for the summer. In cold weather though, it would probably be great as an all day lotion.
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com
Let me know if you try it, and if you have success tweaking the recipe at all…I’d love to make some variations!
DIY Lotion Bar Recipe @ FaithHopeLoveHappiness.blogspot.com


Linking to these parties:
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Crafty Blog Stalker 
Share It Link Party @ The Winthrop Chronicles 
Chic & CraftyParty @ The Frugal Girls
I’m Lovin’ It @ Tidy Mom 
Feature Friday @ 5 Days 5 Ways
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Check Me Out Saturday @ A Vision to Remember 
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under The Table And Dreaming 
My entry into the Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles is sponsored by Appliances Online and their best Range Cookers.

22 comments:

  1. Love this! I bet your house smelled so yummy when you were making these. This is a great gift idea too! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally I was going to use it as a gift...but I was a little worried when it didn't turn out how I thought it would so I wanted to try it out first! ha!

      Delete
  2. Well, they certainly look pretty! You crack me up!

    xxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, as long as it looks good it isn't a mistake anymore! haha!

      Delete
  3. These look really nice! I have never used a lotion bar before - interesting. I would love for you to share this on my weekly linky party Blog Stalking Thursday! http://www.thecraftyblogstalker.com/2012/07/blog-stalking-thursday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I'll check it out!

      Delete
  4. Great when a wrong plan goes right! Good for you in turning it around and making something that is useful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wait to try making this! Thanks so much for linking up to our Pretty Things Party! I hope you'll be back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am inviting you to come and share this in my Show Your Stuff blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/07/show-your-stuff-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think is is awesome- but you're spinning it all wrong! Its not a failed whipped lotion turned lotion bar - its an utterly intentional *massage bar*!! I buy them at Lush all the time. Its basically a solid lotion that melts after some skin contact =D

    I'm SO into home made beauty products right not its crazy. If you have a minute, I'd love for you to link up to Sweet Sharing Monday - http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-16/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny you will have to check out the one's I did, it's link #3 on the hop. I love them! Thanks so much for stopping by the Best of your Best Blog Hop @ Miss Information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! I am going to try my next batch out in the crock-pot...such a great idea!

      Delete
  9. I really want to try but I am so nervous, I guess a good thing to do when the kids aren't around! Laura from Real Momma stopping by to say thanks for linking up in the Best of Your Best Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO super easy to make...go for it! :)

      Delete
  10. They look very pretty. And what a save getting it to work into something that you can still use :) (Do you need to refigerate the bars when it's hot?)

    www.seaweedandraine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep them in a mason jar in the fridge...except for the one I keep in a foil cupcake wrapper in the bathroom for after showers. The one that I've left out hasn't had any melting issues, but we do keep the air conditioning on in the house. I probably wouldn't take the lotion bars with me to the beach or keep it in your purse during the summer. Since it is beeswax and coconut oil it will melt if it's warm enough.

      Delete
  11. well im just about to start im going with the 1-1-1 ratio of beeswax, olive oil and coconut oil hope it turns out then maybe a lipbalm 1-1 cocnut oil and beeswax wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Hope your lotion turns out awesome! :)

      Delete
  12. I love the idea of your recipe, and I’m a big fan of homemade products.
    Homemade moisturizer

    ReplyDelete
  13. im having the issue that no matter how much mango extract i use i cant get the lotion bar to smell like like mango (im using the recepie of bees wax,almond oil, and shea butter)can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a nice DIY feat right there. It’s funny to see your journey into achieving it though. It seems like you had quite some fun with all your mistakes and mishaps trying to make your own lotion. I’m looking forward to more of this in the future.
    Larry Brannon

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I had to implement the word verification for the comments due to a gazillion spam comments I am getting lately. I know it's a pain in the booty...so I will appreciate it even more when/if you still comment!
:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails